Are you new to the world of Pokemon Go? If so, this guide is for you! Pokemon Go is a mobile game that uses augmented reality technology to bring Pokemon into the real world. You can catch, train, and battle Pokemon, as well as collect items at various in-game locations called PokeStops. The game has become incredibly popular since its release in 2016, and it continues to evolve and grow with new updates and features. In this guide, we will cover everything you need to know how to get started playing Pokemon Go.
The first step to playing Pokemon Go is to download the game on your mobile device. Pokemon Go is available for both iOS and Android devices, and it can be downloaded for free from the App Store or Google Play. Once you have the game installed, you will need to create an account. You can sign up using your Google account or create a new Pokemon Trainer Club account.
Once you have created an account and logged in, you will be prompted to customize your avatar. You can choose your gender, skin tone, and clothing, as well as select a starting location. After that, you will be taken to the main menu of the game, where you can start your journey as a Pokemon trainer.
The main objective of Pokemon Go is to catch as many Pokemon as possible. You can catch Pokemon by walking around in the real world and encountering them in the game. When a Pokemon appears on the screen, you can tap on it to engage in a catching mini-game. The objective of the mini-game is to throw a Poke Ball at the Pokemon and try to catch it.
To throw a Poke Ball, you will need to swipe up on your screen and aim at the Pokemon. You can also use special items like Razz Berries or Nanab Berries to increase your chances of catching a Pokemon. Once you have successfully caught a Pokemon, it will be added to your Pokedex and you can use it to battle other trainers.
PokeStops and Gyms
In Pokemon Go, PokeStops and Gyms are real-world locations where you can collect items and battle other trainers. PokeStops are locations where you can collect items such as Poke Balls, Berries, and Eggs. To spin a PokeStop, you will need to be within range of the location and tap on it.
Gyms are locations where you can battle other trainers and their Pokemon. Gyms are controlled by different teams, and you can join one of these teams to battle for control of the gym. To battle at a gym, you will need to have at least one Pokemon in your party. You can battle other trainers by tapping on their Pokemon and using your own Pokemon’s moves.
Evolving and Powering Up Pokemon
As you catch more Pokemon, you will start to notice that some of them can evolve. To evolve a Pokemon, you will need to collect a certain number of candy for that specific species. Once you have enough candy, you can tap on the Pokemon and select the “Evolve” button.
In addition to evolving, you can also power up your Pokemon to make them stronger. To power up a Pokemon, you will need to use Stardust and Candy. Stardust is a resource that you can collect by catching Pokemon, and Candy is a resource that is specific to each species. To power up a Pokemon, you will need to tap on it and select the “Power Up” button.
Tips and Tricks
- Use Incense and Lure Modules to attract Pokemon to your location.
- Use Razz Berries and Nanab Berries to increase your chances of catching wild Pokemon.
- Use Pinap Berries to double the amount of candy you receive when catching a Pokemon.
- Keep an eye out for Pokemon with a purple aura – these are rare and powerful Pokemon.
- Use a Lucky Egg to double the XP you receive for a set period of time.
- Hatch eggs by placing them in an incubator and walking a certain distance.
- Keep an eye out for Pokemon with a weather boost – they will be stronger in certain weather conditions.
- Use a Pokedex to keep track of the Pokemon you have caught and the ones you still need to catch.
- Join a team and battle for control of Gyms to earn rewards and prestige.
- Participate in events and special research tasks for a chance to catch rare and powerful Pokemon.
As you progress through the game and level up, you’ll discover new and more challenging features. Here are some advanced gameplay elements that you should be aware of:
IVs and CP
Individual Values (IVs) and Combat Power (CP) are two important stats that determine a Pokemon’s strength. IVs are hidden stats that range from 0 to 15 for each of the three attributes (Attack, Defense, and Stamina). A Pokemon with higher IVs will have better overall stats, making it a more powerful choice for battle.
CP, on the other hand, is a visible stat that represents a Pokemon’s overall strength. A Pokemon with higher CP will be stronger in battle, and can take on higher-level Gyms and trainers. You can increase a Pokemon’s CP by using Stardust and Candy to power it up.
Raid Battles are special events that take place at Gyms, where players can team up with other trainers to take on powerful Pokemon called Raid Bosses. Raid Battles are available to players level 5 and above. If you successfully defeat a Raid Boss, you will have a chance to catch it and add it to your collection. You can also earn special items and rewards for participating in Raid Battles.
Friendship and Trading
As you play Pokemon Go, you can also build relationships with other players. You can add friends and send them gifts, which can include items, Stardust, and even Pokemon. You can also trade Pokemon with friends, allowing you to complete your Pokedex and gain access to Pokemon that you otherwise wouldn’t be able to catch.
Trading Pokemon with friends also allows you to trade Pokemon with higher IVs, as well as get access to Pokemon that are not available in your region. It’s important to note that trading Pokemon will cost you a certain amount of Stardust, and the distance between the two players also plays a role in the Stardust cost.
Mega Evolutions are a new feature that was introduced to the game in 2020, which allows certain Pokemon to temporarily evolve into a more powerful form. Mega Evolutions can be triggered by using Mega Energy, which can be obtained from Mega Raids and by trading with friends. Mega Evolutions can also only be activated during battles, and they provide a significant boost in CP and stats.
Pokemon Go is a complex and constantly evolving game that offers a wide variety of features and gameplay elements. By mastering the basics and understanding the advanced gameplay elements, you will be well on your way to becoming a top-level trainer. Remember to stay active and participate in events, battle and raid with other trainers, and continue to catch, train and evolve your Pokemon to become the ultimate Pokemon Master.
Community and Events
One of the best aspects of Pokemon Go is the sense of community it fosters. There are many local groups and communities of players who organize events, walks and raids together. Joining a local community can be a great way to make new friends and improve your gameplay experience.
Events are also a great way to experience new and exciting aspects of the game. Niantic, the developer of Pokemon Go, regularly holds events that feature special Pokemon, bonuses, and other in-game perks. These events can range from small, regional events to global events that take place over several days.
Examples of events include Community Days, where a specific Pokemon will appear more frequently in the wild for a limited time, and special research tasks that give players the chance to catch rare Pokemon or earn special rewards. Participating in events is a great way to catch rare Pokemon, earn bonuses, and have fun with other players.
Tips for Staying Safe
As you play Pokemon Go, it’s important to remember to stay safe and be aware of your surroundings. Here are some tips to help you stay safe while playing:
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times, and don’t play while driving or crossing the street.
- Use headphones to enhance your gameplay experience without causing distractions.
- Be respectful of other people and their property while playing.
- Don’t trespass or enter private property without permission.
- Be mindful of weather conditions and dress appropriately.
- Let someone know where you’re going and when you expect to be back.
Additional Tips and Tricks
- Use the in-game map to plan your route and find nearby PokeStops and Gyms. This will help you save time and energy by avoiding unnecessary detours.
- Take advantage of incense and lures to attract Pokemon to your location. These items can be used at PokeStops and will increase the chances of encountering Pokemon in the wild.
- Use the in-game tracker to find specific Pokemon. The tracker will show you the location of nearby Pokemon and how far away they are.
- Take advantage of the weather boost to catch Pokemon with increased CP and IVs. These Pokemon will be stronger and more powerful in specific weather conditions.
- Participate in special events and research tasks to catch rare and powerful Pokemon. These events often feature special bonuses and rewards, and they’re a great way to add new Pokemon to your collection.
- Join a team and battle for control of Gyms. This will allow you to earn rewards, prestige, and the opportunity to battle with other trainers.
- Make use of the IV checker to check the IV of your Pokemon. This will help you decide which Pokemon to keep, power up, trade, or evolve.
- Take advantage of the buddy system, to earn candy for your Pokemon, and also to make it easier for you to track your progress.
- Join local communities and groups, and participate in walks and raids with other players. This is a great way to make new friends, learn from more experienced players, and have fun.
In addition to Poke Balls, Berries, and Eggs, there are many other items that you can collect and use in Pokemon Go. Here are a few of the most useful items and what they do:
- Potions: These items restore health to your Pokemon after battle. You can collect different types of potions depending on the amount of health you want to restore.
- Revives: These items restore a fainted Pokemon back to life.
- Incense: This item attracts Pokemon to your location for a short period of time.
- Lure Module: This item can be placed at a PokeStop to attract Pokemon to that location.
- Lucky Egg: This item doubles the XP you earn for a set period of time.
- Star Piece: This item increases the amount of Stardust you earn for a set period of time.
- Razz Berry: This item makes it easier to catch wild Pokemon.
- Nanab Berry: This item makes a wild Pokemon less active, making it easier to catch.
- Pinap Berry: This item doubles the amount of candy you receive when catching a Pokemon.
- TMs (Technical Machines): These items allow you to change the moveset of your Pokemon.
Team Rocket is a team of villainous trainers that you can encounter in the game. They have taken over some PokeStops, turning them into their own “Rocket Stops”. By interacting with these stops, you can rescue Pokemon that they have captured and battle Team Rocket grunts to earn rewards.
By defeating Team Rocket grunts, you can also earn items like Rare Candy and Stardust. And by rescuing the Shadow Pokemon, you can purify them, making them more powerful and unlocking their hidden abilities. Team Rocket Invasion is a limited-time event, so make sure to take advantage of it when it’s available.
In conclusion, Pokemon Go is a game that offers endless opportunities for adventure and fun. With its constant updates, new features and events, it keeps the game fresh and exciting for players. This guide covered the basics of the game, advanced gameplay elements, tips and tricks, and additional information to help you become a skilled and successful Pokemon trainer. Remember to stay safe, be respectful of others, and always keep an open mind and try new things. Happy catching!
In addition to battling at Gyms, Pokemon Go also allows players to battle other trainers in real-time, player-vs-player (PvP) battles. These battles take place in the Battle League, which is an online multiplayer feature that allows players to compete against each other in a variety of formats.
The Battle League has several ranks, from the Great League (for Pokemon with a CP limit of 1500) to the Ultra League (for Pokemon with a CP limit of 2500) and the Master League (no CP limit). Players can participate in the battle league by using battle items, which can be obtained by spinning PokeStops or completing certain research tasks. These items are used to enter the Battle League and compete against other players.
Players can also earn rewards for participating in the Battle League, such as Stardust and Rare Candy, as well as access to special Pokemon. To participate in the Battle League, players must have at least one Pokemon with a CP of at least 500.
GO Battle League Season
The Go Battle League features a seasonal format, where players can compete in different leagues and ranks during the different seasons. Each season lasts for a few weeks and features different rules, rewards, and bonuses. This format allows players to test their skills against other trainers in a variety of formats and earn unique rewards.
To participate in the Go Battle League, players need to walk a certain distance to earn Battle Points (BP). Once a player has enough BP, they can enter the league and start battling other players. The league has a ranking system, where players can earn rewards based on their performance.
Other Gameplay Features
Pokemon Go has a lot of features that can be a bit overwhelming for new players. Here are some additional gameplay features that you should be aware of:
- Appraisal: You can use the appraisal feature to get a detailed analysis of your Pokemon’s IVs and overall strength from your team leader.
- Photobomb: You can take a photo of your Pokemon and share it on social media.
- Research Tasks: Research Tasks are special missions that players can complete to earn rewards and catch rare Pokemon.
- Gifts: You can receive and send gifts to your friends, which can contain items, Stardust, and even Pokemon.
- Adventure Sync: This feature allows you to track your steps and earn rewards even when the game is closed.
- Field Research: Field Research tasks are tasks that players can complete by spinning PokeStops and Gyms, which can reward players with items, Stardust, and even Pokemon encounters.
All of these features are designed to make the gameplay experience more fun and engaging. So be sure to explore them and take advantage of them to get the most out of your Pokemon Go experience.
Pokemon Go is a game that offers a unique and engaging experience for players of all ages. Whether you’re a new player or a seasoned veteran, there’s always something new to discover and enjoy. By following this guide, you should now have a solid understanding of the game’s mechanics and features, and be well on your way to becoming a skilled and successful Pokemon trainer. Remember to stay safe, be respectful of others, and always keep an open mind and try new things. Happy catching!